Recreate a Valentines Dinner to remember at home with this expert recipe from our Chef De Cuisine, Paul Cuthbert, complete with delicious Cocktail Recipe to top things off!
Mushrooms and Bacon
in Herb Cream on a Toasted Brioche Crouton glazed with Mozzarella Cheese
500g button mushrooms, halved
4 rashers of bacon
1/2 finely diced onion
1/4 teaspoon of italian mixed herbs
1/4 litre double cream
4 slice of brioche
100g grated mozzarella
Pinch salt and pepper
1.Wash mushrooms and half
2. Heat large frying pan add butter, salt, pepper, mushrooms, onions and bacon gently cook over a medium heat. When bacon looks cooked add the Italian seasoning and cook for a further 2 mins.
3. Add cream and reduce heat till thickens, lift of heat.
4. Place brioche on grill, toast one side, turn over and with a perforated spoon lift mushroom mix and place on center of all the brioche, keep sauce in pan, coat mushrooms with the cheese and grill till cheese has melted ,place in center of plate and spoon round sauce and garnish with rocket leaves.
Braised Fillet Steak
served with Buttered Mash and Fried Broccoli Florrettes with Red Wine Jus
2 fillet steaks
Beef stock 400ml
Red wine 125ml
4 large potatoes
1 head broccoli
2 spring onions
20ml olive oil
1. Heat frying pan add oil, season the steaks and fry to seal in the hot oil for two mins each side. Place steaks in roasting tray ,keep pan for broccoli as it will have flavorings, add stock and white wine to roasting tray and the cover in tin foil and put in pre heated oven at 160oc for 3 hours.
2. Cut broccoli head off and cut into florettes, boil salted and peppered water and have a bowl of iced water handy, place broccoli in boiling water for 120 seconds only, lift broccoli out with perforated spoon and refresh in the bowl of iced water.
3. Peel and dice the potatoes, add salt & pepper to water and boil till cooked, strain and place back into pot with butter and cream. Adjust seasoning and add more cream and butter to make light and creamy.
4. Heat 25g butter in the pan you cooked steak add spring onion and broccoli turn up heat.
5. Strain stock from steak into a pot and bring to the boil to reduce, add corn flour to thicken if needed or bisto granules if more handy at home
6. Spoon mash to center of plate, place steak on top then broccoli to side, put your sauce over the top or serve in sauce boat.
Strawberries and Cream
sharing platter for two with Ayrshire Shortbread Sables
1 punnet of strawberries
250 mils double cream
5 mils vanilla essence
10g caster sugar
125g Plain Flour
70g Caster Sugar
35g Salted Butter
Pinch of Salt
1. Cream the butter, flour & sugar in a bowl
2. Add pinch of Salt
3. Roll out on Dusted Surface to 3-5mm thick
4. Cut to required shape
5. Bake in Oven for 12 mins at 180 degrees
6. When still hot dust with Caster Sugar
whip cream with sugar and vanilla essence ,
Strawberries & Cream
1. 1/2 strawberries
2. 1 very large plate in center put a bowl or large ramekin of cream, place strawberries round the cream bowl and then place shortbread round strawberries.
25ml Absolut Raspberri Vodka 15ml Cointreau 15ml Pineapple Juice 15ml Cranberry Juice Dash of Lime Juice Topped up with Champagne
1. Muddle the raspberries in the bottom of a shaker.
2. Combine the raspberry vodka, cointreau, pineapple juice, cranberry juice and lime juice in a shaker with ice. 3.Shake and fine strain into glass. 4.Top with champagne. 5.Garnish with a sprig of mint or a cherry.